The information provided in the below handbook was written and based on the 2013 version. Some facts might be out-of-date.

* Read an up-to-date, 2024 version of the study guide on Britizen. It’s an improved version with better readability, built-in search and up-to-date facts.
* All tests in the practice section are valid and up-to-date.

The new, 2024 version fixes the inaccuracies for the study guide. All tests remain valid and contain the most up-to-date information.

Becoming a permanent resident

To apply to become a permanent resident or citizen of the UK, you will need to:

  • speak and read English
  • have a good understanding of life in the UK.

There are currently (as of January 2013) two ways you can be tested on these requirements:

  • Take the Life in the UK test. The questions are written in a way that requires an understanding of the English language at English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Entry Level 3, so there is no need to take a separate English language test. People here on work visas, including those on Tier 1 and Tier 2 of the points based system, normally must pass the Life in the UK test to become permanent residents.
  • Pass an ESOL course in English with Citizenship. You will need to take this course if your standard of English is below ESOL Entry Level 3. The course will help you to improve your English and learn more about life in the UK. At the end of the course you will take a test.

Once you have passed one of these tests, you can make an application for permanent residence or British citizenship. The form that you have to complete and the evidence that you need to provide will depend on your personal circumstances. There is a fee for submitting an application, which is different for the various types of application. All of the forms and a list of fees can be found on the UK Border Agency website, www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk. From October 2013, the requirements will change. From that date, for settlement or permanent residence, you will need to:

  • Pass the Life in the UK test
  • Produce acceptable evidence of speaking and listening skills in English at B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. This is equivalent to ESOL Entry Level 3.

The requirements for citizenship applications may also change in the future. Further details will be published on the UK Border Agency website and you should check the information on that website for current requirements before applying for settlement or citizenship.

❮ The values and principles of the UK Taking the Life in the UK test ❯