Chapter 1: The values and principles of the UK
Chapter 2: What is the UK?
Some facts might be out-of-date
* This does not apply to tests. All tests in the practice section are valid and up-to-date.
The information provided in the handbook is based on the outdated, 2013 version. When reading, please make a mental note of important events such as King Charles III being the Monarch and UK’s Brexit vote in 2020.
The new, 2023 version will fix the inaccuracies for the study guide. All tests should be valid and contain the most up-to-date information.
Chapter 4: A modern, thriving society
IN THIS CHAPTER you will learn about the population and culture of the UK. The start of the chapter shows you where the major cities of the UK are. You should be sure you can identify the various cities, such as Leeds and Bradford, confidently. Because the UK is a multicultural country you will also have to know the sizes of the different ethnic and religious groups in the UK, as well as their main festivals.
The chapter focuses on British culture after that and you should make sure you know who each of the people described are and what they have achieved. Britain’s recent sporting success at the Olympics features heavily so focus on who won medals and for what as well as the general information about sport in the UK. Make sure you familiarise yourself with the poems, films, books and other works listed too, as well as the artists, composers, architects, authors, poets and other famous people. You should also familiarise yourself with the extracts of poems provided and be able to recognise the famous landmarks at the end of the chapter.
IN THIS CHAPTER THERE IS INFORMATION ABOUT:
- The cities and population of the UK
- Religious festivals of the UK
- Popular sports and famous sportsmen and women
- The development of music, including famous composers
- British theatre and cinema through the ages
- British artists and architects
- Famous British poets and authors
- Sections of famous British poems
- British comedy and leisure activities
- Famous British landmarks